Saturday, January 14, 2017

All That Theological Gobbledygook-



Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these things so that, if I am delayed, you will know how each one must conduct himself in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. 1 Timothy 3:14-15 (St. Paul to Timothy, his disciple)



Image result for the simple truth

Elton Trueblood once wrote:
Very early in my academic life I realized that shallow waters are often muddied to make them look deep, and I vowed to avoid this affectation if I could. (Philosophy of Religion)
Nothing in my opinion could be closer to the truth or of a more sound judgement. After just wading through a volume on Thomas Aquinas by a so-called expert, I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that I would have been much better off reading St. Thomas' Summa Theologia itself without trying to filter out all the muddy water this author had stirred up. Why is it, may I ask, that some "Biblical scholars" feel it is necessary to go around old Dobbin's barn when they could just as easily go through the door?

Paul, who we all agree, was one of the greatest theologians of all time was able to succinctly summarize the essence of the Gospel with these words:

For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures. (1 Corinthians 15:1–4)

Nothing muddy about those waters. Why then do some find it necessary to filter this truth through a maze of convoluted theological puzzles and word games? What is wrong with simply saying, "I don't know. It's a mystery, but I know it is true because God says so?" What is wrong with the simple faith of a little child, especially when Christ declared that we must become like one to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

The Catholic monk Thomas a' Kempis put it this way,
What doth it profit thee to dispute deeply about the Trinity, if thou be wanting in humility, and so be displeasing to the Trinity? In truth, sublime words make not a Saint and a just man; but it is a virtuous life that maketh one dear to God. I would rather feel compunction [that is a sense of guilt], than know how to define it.

Who can argue with that approach? Certainly not I.


Through it all, however, be blessed–and as usual, bless others.


Jim R/

No comments: