Saturday, July 16, 2016

Election Year Hallabaloo . . .

Always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. (2 Tim. 3:7)


I don’t know about you, perhaps it is just me, but I find it increasingly difficult to distinguish between the current political campaigns and the Ringling Brother’s Circus. Surely, we should not be asked to take the process seriously. And, in my opinion, herein comes the rub. These are serious times. No room for politically correct shenanigans or name calling here, as far as I am concerned.

The whole scene reminds me of the words of Christ, when he said in Matthew 11:16-19):

“To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others: “ ‘We played the pipe for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’”

Could it be that sensible people are simply turned off by the whole scene and see it as just another game that Americans play every 4 years, or whenever there is another election? I think so. There certainly seems to be a majority that fit the category.

Further, in this same parable, Jesus reminds them that even when unadulterated truth faces them---in this case, John the Baptist—they sluff it off by discrediting the messenger, with these words:

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’

Then He ends the parable with this cryptic statement: “wisdom is only proved right by her deeds.” For years, I wrestled with what that meant, now I understand that all Jesus was saying is that “the proof is in the pudding.” In other words, where had all their shenanigans lead them? Most assuredly nowhere. Nothing wise about that. That’s for sure.

Now, may I ask in all sincerity, “Where will all this election hullaballoo lead us?”

Unfortunately, without God, I must say, we will only have more of the same in the foreseeable, and beyond according to the Bible I read.

At this point, I ask myself if I am a pessimist by nature or are these the facts. Well, to answer that: neither; I’m a realist. Be that as it may, however, this is no excuse for me or for any of us to stand idly by.  For we must work, until we can no longer work. (John 9:4).  

As ever, be blessed—better yet, bless others!



JimR/

No comments: